Marketing Cheltenham is a partnership collaboration with ambitious plans to raise the profile of Cheltenham as a great place to visit, work, invest and study.
We are looking for a talented freelance events manager to join the team, for more information on the role please read the below job description.
Freelance Events Manager
Marketing Cheltenham is the Destination Marketing Organisation for Cheltenham and, by extension, the place marketing department of Cheltenham Borough Council.
Marketing Cheltenham works closely with a range of local and regional stakeholders to support the town’s economic recovery and growth and to position and promote Cheltenham as a place to visit, live, work and invest. In particular, the Cheltenham Business Improvement District (BID) is one of our closest partners, with a shared commitment to driving incremental visits and footfall into the town, through collaborative and joined-up marketing activity and major town centre events.
In response to the significant impact from Covid-19 over the past year, Cheltenham Borough Council is committed to supporting the town’s economic recovery and recognises the need to invest in and support new events to help stimulate increased footfall into the town. Events planned for 2021 that will be led by Cheltenham Borough Council (via Marketing Cheltenham) and/or Cheltenham BID, include:
- Big Screen in the Gardens (free screening of sporting and cultural events plus outdoor cinema) (July – Sept)
- Expanding Cheltenham Christmas Market (Nov-Dec)
- Cheltenham Christmas Ice Rink (Nov – Jan 2022)
- Christmas Light Switch-On event (tbc) (Nov)
Working closely with Cheltenham BID and other partners, Cheltenham Borough Council – through Marketing Cheltenham – is therefore seeking to commission the services of a suitably qualified and experienced event management company or freelance Event Manager to work with the respective event operators and their suppliers to oversee and ensure the safe and successful operation and delivery of these events.
Requirements/Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for the safe and effective delivery of a series of high profile events for the town, to include:
- Big Screen (in conjunction with Cheltenham Borough Council and contracted operator)
- Christmas Market (in conjunction with Cheltenham BID, Cheltenham Borough Council and contracted market operator)
- Christmas Ice Rink (in conjunction with Cheltenham BID, Cheltenham Borough Council and contracted operator)
- Christmas Lights Switch-On event (TBC) (in conjunction with Cheltenham BID)
- Primary liaison point between the respective event operator(s) and Cheltenham Borough Council departments, Marketing Cheltenham and BID colleagues.
- Primary point of contact for all contractors and suppliers.
- Delivering the requirements of the Council’s Event Consultative Group (ECG) and Safety Advisory Group (SAG).
- Ensure all legal, regulatory and health and safety obligations and best practice is followed and adhered to.
- To understand all/any prevailing COVID-related requirements, risks and safety measures and oversee their implementation alongside relevant suppliers and Council/BID staff.
- To contribute to and provide advice on the marketing and commercial plans that will support the events.
- To generally troubleshoot and handle any issues that arise to ensure safe, smooth and successful events.
- To provide advice and support to ad-hoc event enquiries that Cheltenham Borough Council and/or Cheltenham BID may require.
Fixed term, commencing from mid-end of August to w/e 14 January 2022.
Ave 2 days p/w with additional days during event periods, subject to needs and prior agreement.
Cheltenham. It is anticipated that a proportion of this work will and can be conducted remotely. However, some travel and on-site meetings will be required and you will be expected to be on-site at the respective event sites at key points in the event build and operation.
Further details and the response template are available via the following portal link:
When applying, please use ref: CBC0395P
Deadline: 2pm, Thursday 12th August
If you require any guidance in accessing the portal, please contact Cheltenham Borough Council’s Procurement team on firstname.lastname@example.org