Another round of Additional Restrictions Discretionary Grants has been made available for eligible businesses. This third round of the scheme includes support for businesses not eligible for the national schemes and is open for applications until 31 March 2021.
As the Government’s restart grants won’t be available until April the council is paying local hospitality businesses (those that serve food and/or drink from the premises) £5,000 now. Eligible businesses have been contacted by email and will be paid £5,000 in the next few days.
The scheme has also been widened further to include local driving instructors (qualified and living in Cheltenham Borough).
Cheltenham based businesses that qualify are:
- Bed and Breakfast premises which pay council tax instead of business rates
- Regular market/street traders who do not have their own business rates assessment (license from Cheltenham Borough Council)
- Hairdressers/beauticians/businesses providing personal care/wellbeing/in person training services that do not have their own business rates assessment
- Businesses in or supplying the retail, hospitality, leisure/tourism and events sector that do not have their own business rates assessment
- Certain food and beverage outlets
- Taxi drivers (licensed by and living in Cheltenham borough)
- Local driving instructors (qualified and living in Cheltenham borough)
Cllr Steve Jordan, cabinet member finance and assets, said: “Since March 2020, we have worked hard to swiftly pay grants to our local businesses. To date, we have paid 8,200 grants worth £37m to businesses. More of our local businesses will benefit from this scheme and we hope that the £5,000 will be a boost to those in the hospitality industry ahead of them reopening.”
Business ratepayers that have been severely impacted due to COVID-19 restrictions have been able to apply for financial support under the Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG) schemes.
The majority of rate-paying businesses eligible for grants up to 31 March have now been paid. Restart grants, announced by the Government in the Budget won’t be available until available until April.
Businesses are asked to check the council’s business grants page for up to date information.